READ | THE UNSEEN EYE

Sep 6, 2016
The day that I received this book happened to fall on a really tough day for Texas, the world, as it was the morning after the sniper attacks on Dallas police officers. One of many tragic days in 2016 alone. Initially, after getting the book, I was going to touch on that topic since some of the photos within are of really historic, not-to-mention tragic, events in our history- like the New York's Twin Towers attack. After flipping through it's pages and reading the collector's notes, ect., it felt more appropriate to stay true to the book and to William M. Hunt's collection.

Diving into the book takes you through this really morbid yet freeing experience. In every photo the eyes are obscured, closed or otherwise 'unseen'. Each of the pictures drawing different emotions from you. Each of the pictures telling it's own story yet leaving you asking so many questions.

I included only a few shots of what you can find in this beautiful collection along with my own interpretation of the book through self-portraits.



Sometimes, I tend to get so excited to create a post that I miss out on the point of it all and this time I wanted to make sure that I took the time to really focus directly on that point; the unseen eye. It was a perfect assignment for me, after all. For those who know me, and know me well, know that half the  self-portraits (selfies) I take are really just 'halfies'. Anywhere from Instagram to Facebook, it's rare to see a whole shot of my face. For me, it's more about me appreciating the parts of my face rather than my face as a whole. Which makes this book, and post, a perfect assignment. I could dive in already grasping what the concept means to me; expressing ourselves in a minimal way with great emphasis on only our parts and how powerful those parts can be when shown individually.



I wanted to photograph the book without the dust jacket because that color of green is by far one of my favorite colors. Without the dust jacket, it's simplicity is something to be admired. On the left is without the dust jacket (obviously) and to the right is the dust jacket cover photo within the book itself. Both make for the most gorgeous of covers.



I highly recommend this book to any lover of photography, especially those who have a more morbid curiosity. You can get your own copy here.

Post a Comment